Did Joanna Gaines Decorate Your Classroom???


Tis the season...
for all things back to school.

I love back to school time.  I love the fresh pencils, erasers, cute containers, and general air of optimism that says "this will be the best school year ever."

But I must admit, there's something I don't like this time of year.

Instagram.

Don't get me wrong, I like Instagram as much as the next person.  But I feel there's an untruth to it.  There's a level of "your classroom isn't good enough" that teachers feel.

I see all the stunning pictures of the classrooms with ornate color schemes, perfectly decorated walls (I mean, seriously, did Joanna Gaines come decorate your classroom??? And I mean that in the kindest way as Joanna Gaines is AWESOME) but the natural reaction is to say, "Mine just isn't enough."

I'm here to remind you what Instagram won't.
Your classroom is enough.
Because you are enough.

If you are a teacher who gives her all every day.
If you are a teacher whose students can tell he is knowledgeable in his field.
If you are a teacher who truly tries to reach all the students.
If you are a teacher who strives for a clean classroom that is welcoming where all students can learn (even if it doesn't make for a gorgeous Instagram photo).

Then remember that you are enough.

Your classroom needs to be a reflection of YOU.  Not a catalog.  YOU.



As you can see in the pic above, my classroom has a few things on the walls, but not a ton.  I just don't want a completely covered room.  And that's okay.

I love to travel so I have pictures and souvenirs from my travels scattered throughout my room.  And my students LOVE that.  They ask me questions all the time about the places I've been.  This is me.  Your classroom should be you.

No, my classroom's not going to make the photo that will get 10,000 likes.
But it gets 130 likes from the faces that enter my classroom each day.
And to me, that makes it stunningly beautiful.
And that, my dear teacher friends, is more than enough.


1 comment

  1. I LOVE your classroom. If I could, I would give it 100000 likes. It's organized, safe, clean, and not overwhelming. Looks ideal for learning to me. I don't know why some teachers are spending precious time on decorating when there are so many other important things to attend to before the start of school. Anyways, what does Joanna Gaines know about decorating a classroom? Was she a teacher in a secret life?

    ReplyDelete